Thursday, March 10, 2011

Piña Colada Smoothie

I love to make smoothies. I am pretty tough on blenders, especially in the hot summers. I never measure the ingredients for my smoothies or follow an exact recipe. However I usually include yogurt, a variety of fruit (bananas and strawberries are my favorites), liquid (milk, juice, or water, or a combination), and ice if needed (if I'm using frozen fruit sometimes I don't need the ice).

Once in a while I go out on a limb and throw in a veggie or two, like a carrot, with varying success. (Sometimes the kids will notice and tell me it tastes funny.)

The other night, I made what Mia called "The best yummy drink you've ever made, mom!" Again, no exact measurements, but here's how it went:

Piña Colada Smoothie

1 and 1/2 fresh bananas
several large spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt (maybe about a cup worth?)
canned pineapple juice and tidbits (I opened a large can and used all the liquid plus the tidbits that were left after making Hawaiian pizza)
cream of coconut* - squeeze for a couple of seconds
water and ice to desired thickness and texture

Blend and enjoy! Little umbrellas optional.

*The brand of cream of coconut that I have is Coco Real, and I found it in the liquor section:

No comments: