This is one of Mia's favorite recipes. It comes from my friend Bethany who always makes the best food! I've modified it just a little for convenience sake, her original recipe is here.
- 2 chicken breasts, precooked and shredded (best method is in the crock pot w/some broth, seasoned salt, and pepper)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 C carrots, cut up (or 1/2 bag of baby carrots cut up)
- 3 stocks of celery, chopped
- 2 T. butter
- 6 chicken bullion cubes (added at different times)
- seasoned salt and pepper
- 8 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 package of small egg noodles (8-10 oz.)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup*
Put chopped onion, celery, and carrots in the bottom of a large pot with butter, ¼ cup water, 1 bullion cube, and a dash each of seasoned salt and pepper. Stir, cover, and steam on medium heat until veggies are almost tender (about 10-15 minutes).
Add 8 cups of water and remaining 5 bullion cubes, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add noodles and boil for about 8 minutes or according to package.
Finally, add shredded chicken, canned soup, and ¼ t each of seasoned salt and pepper. Cook until cream of chicken soup has dissolved and soup is creamy. Add more water if soup is too thick.
*Here is a substitution for the cream of chicken soup when I don’t have it on hand: Melt 4 T butter in a saucepan, then stir in about 8-9 T flour. Add 1 cup milk, salt and pepper, and cook until thickened. Add this to the pot along with a few big spoonfuls of sour cream.