So here are the buns that have been gracing our table the last few months whenever we have had a need for buns. Original recipe here.
Beautiful Burger Buns
1 cup warm water
2 T butter, softened
1 large egg
3 1/4 cups flour (I use 2 1/4 cups white, and 1 cup white whole wheat)
1/4 cup sugar
1 t salt
1 T quick-rising yeast
1 t onion powder
1/2 t dried onion flakes
- Combine all the ingredients and mix and knead them together, by hand or by mixer, until you have a soft, smooth dough. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour. (I just throw the ingredients in my bread maker and run the "dough" cycle.)
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball; place the buns on greased baking sheets, cover and let rise 30-40 minutes, until they're puffy.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake the buns for 12-15 minutes, until they're golden brown; remove from oven and baking sheet and cool them on a rack.
- Slice in half with a serrated knife and use for burgers or sandwiches.
- (Optional) For burgers, butter the split sides and fry them, buttered side down, until they're golden brown and warmed through.