Saturday, August 28, 2010

Breadsticks

I was skeptical about making breadsticks because I've tried a couple of recipes that were total flops. Then I saw this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe (which is an awesome recipe blog), and I decided to give breadsticks another chance. I'm so glad I did, because I've made these three times now, and they have turned out great every time! Mia, who is the biggest bread lover in the family, is always asking me to make them.

Divine Breadsticks

*Note: start making the dough about an hour and 20 minutes before you want to serve these.

1 ½ cups warm water
1 tablespoon instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3 ½ cups flour (I use white whole wheat flour for one of the cups and all-purpose for the rest)
½ teaspoon salt
dried herbs - rosemary, basil, and thyme (or whatever you have/prefer)
3 tablespoons butter, melted (for the baking sheet)

Mix all ingredients except melted butter in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for three minutes. I use my food processor with the dough blade attachment. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Spread melted butter onto an 11X17-inch baking sheet (jelly roll pan). Roll out the breadstick dough about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist slightly and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, herbs, and parmesan cheese.

Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. Preheat oven during rising time to 375 degrees.Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Serve alongside pasta, preferably with sauce to dip them in!


2 comments:

sct_twt said...

How many is this supposed to make? My problem is how thick to make them before twisting them??

Janell said...

You know, I've never counted how many--they about fill up the whole jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) and at our house they feed two adults and two kids with a few left over. I would say I cut them about an inch wide or slightly less. Just experiment - I don't think you can go wrong! Let me know if you make them.